Thursday 26 June 2014

The Grandiose Graduation - Architects of our Fate


At the beginning of this year I was low, there is no denying it. Throughout this year I had a lot of demons that I was struggling to shake, but I said back in January that I am going to come out swinging.

The amalgamation of that aim concluded on the 25th June, after finding out I achieved a classification of 2:1 for my degree I officially graduated from higher education with an extra distinction in a diploma awarded by the college. First of all about the classification although I know that a 2:1 is a very commendable effort I can't say I wasn't a little disappointed, after all I had been chasing a first ever since I started. 

However, that thought has become secondary as the actual day of graduation approached. I was so excited for it, all of the hard work so many of us had done had finally payed off in one big spectacle of celebration (regardless of the celebrations somewhat irrelevant speeches). None the less we collected our scrolls and many a photograph was taken. It was great to have spent the day with some of the friends I have shared this journey with over the last 2 years. If any of you are reading this, I know I don't always outwardly show or express it but I am proud of each and every one of you for what you have achieved. Graduation is the final endgame for any student and is easily one of the best days I've had the pleasure of experiencing, the atmosphere, the people and the result meant so much to everyone I encountered. The stage is now ours, we are the architects now and even if we can't all see it the future ahead is bright & full of good times. Below are some of my favourite pictures taken on the day and I am also going to post a little speech. If you went to the movies earlier in the year to see a certain 'amazing' film you may recognise it, I read it the other day and thought it was just appropriate for the occasion so enjoy. 


What better way to Live?


"It's easy to feel hopeful on a beautiful day like today, but there will be dark days ahead of us too.
There will be days where you feel all alone and that's when hope is needed most.
No matter how buried it gets or how lost you feel, you must promise me that you will hold on to hope.
 
Keep it alive! We have to be greater than what we suffer.
My wish for you is to become hope.. People need that.
And even if we fail... what better way is there to live?

I know that we all think we're immortal, we're supposed to feel that way, we're graduating. The future is and should be bright, but, like our brief three years here, what makes life valuable is that it doesn't last forever, what makes it precious is that it ends. I know that now more than ever. And I say it today of all days to remind us that time is luck. So don't waste it living someone else's life, make yours count for something. Fight for what matters to you, no matter what. Because even if you fall short, what better way is there to live?

As we look around here today at all the people who helped make us who we are,
I know it feels like we're saying goodbye but we will carry a piece of each other into everything we do next.
To remind us of who we are... and what we were meant to be.
I've had a great 3 years with you... I'll miss you all very much."





As a footnote, this will be my last entry for the next 2 weeks as the Africa adventure begins on Saturday, but rest assured when I return there will be many a story to share on here. 



Birdman.

No comments:

Post a Comment