Monday 18 May 2015

Update the Nexus

A small departure from my wildlife related writing although the next part of 'Living Fossils' is currently being written. I wanted to do a little update on what I have been up to as the blog has been inactive for a while until last week. 

At the beginning of this year I spent three months re-writing and editing my Africa journal posts, based on what I uploaded to the blog after my trip last year. The reworked piece beefed up the content of the writing and over all quality as I was no longer writing off of my own excitement and hype of the trip I had just been on. The final product became something more than I could ever had hoped for. After the months of editing I was left with a piece of writing, which with help from a great company called 'Blurb' I managed to get self published. Actual printed copies of my work can be bought online. Something that before had only ever been on my bucket list. 'Chasing the Sun' is a comprehensive journal of my time in South Africa in 2014. To be able to say that technically I am an author is great and is fuelling some of my other writing projects. 



In April I embarked on a new journey though, I went back to South Africa for a month on a game reserve management internship which threw me into some amazing experiences whilst working around the reserve. It included being on the trail of leopard for 4 days as they passed through our camp during the night (only 10m away) and even having a life threatening experience with black rhino. It was an incredible time. However, now that has come to an end I am preparing for my next journey, a student placement at Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust in Jersey for 2 months, starting in July. This is the year I am using to kick start my career. 

In terms of my writing, Absolute Zero has been put on hold fore now as I keep hitting mental blocks with regards to its writing. My focus however, has shifted onto another universe that has been in my sites for a long time. It is a trilogy of books called 'The Last Garrison'. A modern day/ near future tale of deceit, humanity, through the eyes of Anthony 'Arat' Ono' a man who through a destiny, chosen for him, is charged with the task of defeating the enemies who challenge the world. Through his journey he discovers monsters lurking the shadows and a mysterious organisation charged with the forced evolution of humanity through extremist means. Below are 2 excerpts of what I have written so far, giving a nice overview of the general plot points that drive the events in this universe. 

I think that is about it for the time being. Don't forget to check out my other recent posts including one on the current state of rhino poaching and a response to a damaging article regarding the UK's predatory birds. 


The Last Garrison: Fear Through the Eyes of Madness


"At the beginning of the 21st century superheroes, inhuman’s and mutations were all factors of fantasy and the supernatural, at least until 2004 when the sky above us all was torn open in a flurry of fire and inaudible noise. As the twisted metal ships from a far realm attempted to cross through the tear in time we all knew that the world would not be the same again. Even though the event dubbed ‘The Rift Crisis’ was ended by an interdimensional being from the rift the subsequent radiation that leaked into our small blue planet changed the physical and mental nature of millions both alive and yet to be born. Some embraced their gifts whilst others let the powers consume them leading the remaining humans to grow fearful of the god-like beings among them. Among these fearful humans was Donald Claxton, a prominent figure who unlike others had the means to ‘protect’ at least the United Kingdom regardless of the collateral damage. However, I was unaware of Claxton’s existence for many years and grew up in a happy home because of it, loved by all around me, unknowingly a pawn in a larger game which eventually led me to collide with Donald Claxton. My name is Anthony ‘Arat’ Ono and this is how I lost my humanity."


"...we both know the man in the mask that killed your parents, the vigilante who called himself Indominus, is Donald Claxton. However, what happened since that day is vital if we are truly able to reach an understanding. 2015 marked the beginning of the dark days for the United Kingdom. The man the world knows as Donald Claxton could now legally dispose of those he had tried to rid himself of whilst wearing a vigilante’s mask before his political career. A mere week after his election as Prime minister of the UK he sanctioned the ‘Rift Affected Defence Programme’ (RADP legislation). This piece of legislation was an advancement on the ‘Rift Affected Manifestation Index’ (RAMI). Whilst RAMI forced all citizens affected by the rift to submit to examinations and documentation of their powers leading to years of tension, the RADP allowed government sanctioned forces the ability and right to arrest and imprison any individual affected by rift radiation deemed to be a threat and to dispose of with lethal force, any individual who attacks or endangers the life of any sanctioned government force or civilian. A destructive act built upon a necessary defensive framework. Claxton had begun to achieve his dream, a society free from ‘Rift freaks’ a term he coined in his campaign, the first step to real life citizen control. Proxy societies built upon his word and will. On the 19th May Claxton stood down the British armed forces instead choosing to opt for ‘Ratel’, a national private military company (PMC) to undertake actions under RADP. A move justified by a desire not to distract our sovereign forces from the looming terrorist threats that surround the United States of America (USA). Led by Claxton’s personal hunter and pitbull, Gregory Marsdon, the cruel undertaking began with hundreds dying in the initial stages of the programme. Although many still supported Claxton through their fear of the ‘affected’, more opposed his sudden radical view that he had kept hidden for years. Claxton had coaxed and manipulated previous governments to demolish ties with the European Union (EU) thus by extension abandoning the basic laws for Human Rights designed to prevent legislation such as the RADP. That is when I, Stuart Bellamy, along with other concerned politicians split away from Westminster and formed the Lynx Military Resistance Coalition which consisted of concerned politicians, civilians and military. Despite negotiations Claxton made it clear to us that the RADP would continue until the UK was cleansed of the danger these people posed. It was not an easy choice to make but our resources and numbers allowed me to declare war upon Claxton and his and his UK Conserve government over his inhuman acts, thus leaving the United Kingdom gripped in the clutches of this Civil war. Those brave enough to join our ranks, including European resistance and freedom groups such as the Franco-Germanic Syndicate (F-GS) and the Black Sun fight tirelessly to gain ground across the UK with the endgame being the removal of Claxton. My actions may seem violent but to protect this great nation we must fight terrorism by any means necessary, no matter its form.” Bellamy’s monologue came to an end with a triumphant sounding ring to his voice, an obvious pride in his actions. Arat looked on, despite his relaxed demeanour he had a keen mind for the workings of the world around him and was taken in by the recent events yet he could not help but make a sharp remark towards the politician “did you just refer to yourself in the first person?” “That is hardly the point Anthony!” Bellamy responded..."

No comments:

Post a Comment