Wednesday 19 March 2014

Put on your War Paint = Fall out Boy

FoB at the NIA 16/3/14

 Young Volcanoes

Sunday 16th was a very special date. This was my one weekend where I did no work & it was insane. Music once again in all its glory took the weight of the world away for a night. I went to the NIA in Birmingham to see Fall out Boy. Ever since they announced they had returned from haitus this time last year I vowed I would get tickets to see them and I did. I waited 6 years for last night as I never got the chance to see them before they disappeared back in 2009.

Me (Far left) & our group of 'Youngbloods' in the queue.





First up was a band called New Politics, they were alright, a few catchy tunes but I felt that the singer and guitarist tried to over compensate by flying around the stage and doing impressive (but unnecessary) break dancing during songs, I get that bands want a stage presence but this just took it to the 'why?' region of the spectrum. lets just say they aren't a band I'd listen to out of choice but if they popped up on shuffle I wouldn't not listen to them. Once they had disappeared the night started to get exciting, the next support was a band I've been wanting to see for quite some time. The Pretty Reckless, they were awesome, gritty guitars, epic drumming and Taylor Momsen, what more could you possibly ask for! Their new album came out this week, I recommend you check it out!

The Pretty Reckless


 

Finally it was time for the main attraction, we ended up central to the stage with not a lot of people in front of us, everything was calm until they erupted onto stage with the violins of The Phoenix echoing around the arena. It was a glorious noise, the whole set was a barrage of hit after hit, from 'Sugar we're going down', 'Dance, dance' to 'This ain't a scene' 'My songs know what you did in the dark' and 'I don't care'. Its hard to describe how it makes you feel to finally see a band that has inspired you, creatively, for so long. Even the encore was mind blowing, they played Save Rock & Roll and the sense of unity around the arena was something that I have been lucky enough to experience at a few gigs in the past, its the best of feelings. Its eye opening. Even songs like Young Volcanoes united everyone, its a song that speaks directly to our generation. Overall it was a superb night, the set was great, the company was top rate and Fall out Boy were on top form, they have never sounded better live then they have on this tour, my brother even managed to get a load of videos which will be attached to this post.
I've heard a lot of people moan about how the latest Fall out Boy album 'isn't rock' and how it 'most certainly hasn't saved rock & roll' & its these people I pity. They have failed to realise what its about, rock & roll isn't just a genre of music, its an ideal, a concept. It is quite simply... unity.


 Videos

The Phoenix
This ain't a scene, its a god damn arms race
Alone Together
Death Valley
Sugar, we're going down
Young Volcanoes
Dance, Dance
My songs know what you did in the dark (light em' up)
Save rock & roll, Thnks Fr Th Mmrs & Saturday






No comments:

Post a Comment